By browsing, registering or placing an order on this site, you consent to the collection, use and transfer of your information under the terms of this policy.
This policy deals only with personal information handled by The Canadian Global Cities Council. Personal information identifies a specific individual but excludes business contact information. The following explains how we handle your personal information.
The CGCC is accountable for all personal information under its control.
Any questions about our handling of personal information should be directed to email@example.com. Please see below for more information about the process for referring questions regarding your personal information.
Purpose of Personal Information
The purpose for which the CGCC collects personal information will be identified at or before the time the information is collected. We may collect personal information for the purposes of:
- administering CGCC services, including business surveys;
- registering for CGCC events and newsletters;
- processing and administering the above, including contractual arrangements that the Canadian Global Cities Council has entered in to with third parties in pursuance of the above, as strictly necessary.
We will not use personal information for any purpose other than that identified at or before the time of collection.
Limits for Collecting, Using, Disclosing and Keeping Personal Information
We do not collect, use or disclose personal information of individuals except when you give consent (explicit or implied) and provide the information on a voluntary basis. There may be occasions where more specific personal information is necessary for us to proceed with a request for information, or provide you with a product or service. In such cases, we will provide you with a description of the information we need. In all cases, the CGCC limits the amount and type of information collected to only that which is required to provide you with the requested information, product, or service. We collect only information that is voluntarily provided by you and undertake that such information will be kept strictly confidential.
We retain personal information only as long as is necessary to provide you with a requested product, service or information, and for the purposes of current and future membership renewals. We then delete or destroy this information as appropriate to do so. For example, personal information that is voluntarily provided to enable the renewal or maintenance of your membership, or registration for CGCC events, will be used only for the purposes of said renewal or registration, and will then be deleted or destroyed as required and appropriate to the circumstances. In general, information for these purposes will only be retained for a period of two (2) years.
In some cases, note that legal reporting and retention requirements require us to retain information for a specific amount of time. Under these limited circumstances, privacy-protected information will only be kept for the period required by law.
Any personal information that we keep is kept in such a manner as to ensure its security and confidentiality at all times.
Safeguarding Personal Information
The CGCC respects the privacy of our members, partners, website visitors and internet users, and will protect that privacy as vigorously as possible. We store personal information in electronic and physical files that are secure.
Our security measures include:
- Computer system firewall protection
- Password protected files
- Virus protected software
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or receive from us electronically.
This is especially true for information you transmit to us via e-mail. We have no way of protecting that information until it reaches us. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best efforts to ensure its security on our servers.
We employ security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorized persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage. We will retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as the law requires.
Information That We Collect From You
When you visit, register or sign up for services on this website you may be asked to provide certain information about yourself including your name and/or contact details. We may also collect information about the following:
- Your usage of our website as well as information about you from any messages you post to the website and/or e-mails or letters you send to us.
- Information about your visit, including but not limited to: your IP Address, operating system, browser version, geographical location, length of your visit and pages visited. This information is held on our server logs and is used for generating anonymous statistics to help us improve our service to you. We reserve the right to use this information to investigate and take action against any misuse of the site.
- Information provided by you via online forms. This includes, but is not limited to; inquiries, complaints, registration forms.
- Any transaction you perform on our site. This includes personal information that may identify you for the purposes of the transaction and any account you may hold with us. We may also use this information for anonymous statistical purposes.
Use Of Your Information
Your information will enable us to provide you with access to appropriate parts of our site and to supply the goods or services you have requested. It will also enable us to bill you and to contact you where necessary concerning your orders. We will also use and analyze the information we collect so that we can administer, support, improve and develop our business.
In particular, we may use your information to contact you for your views on our services and to notify you occasionally about important changes or developments to the site or our services. Further, we might also use your information to let you know about other products and services which we offer which may be of interest to you and we may contact you by e-mail.
We may also use your information for all or any of the following purposes:
- Your submitted email and contact information may be used by the CGCC and all participating partners during and after the #OurNaturalResources campaign.
- To generate anonymous statistical reports. These are essential to give us an overview of how our site is being used and enables us to improve our service.
- Personal data submitted to this site may be used for the following, plus any purpose stated on the relevant part of the site:
• administer the website;
• improve your browsing experience by personalizing the website;
• enable your use of the services available on the website;
• send statements and invoices to you and collect payments from you;
• send you general commercial communications;
• send you email notifications which you have specifically requested;
• provide third parties with statistical information about our users – without identifying any individual user;
• deal with inquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website.
- Any other purpose stated on the relevant part of our website at the point the data is gathered.
Disclosure Of Your Information
Third parties outside of Canada may be used to website host, process information, fulfill and deliver orders, process credit card payments and provide support services on our behalf. We will only use providers that follow all reasonable safeguards to protect your information.
We may also pass aggregate information on the usage of our site to third parties but this will not include information that can be used to identify you.
When providing us with your details, we may also allow carefully selected third parties, including other companies in our group, to contact you occasionally about products and services which may be of interest to you. They may contact you by e-mail.
Finally, if our business enters into a joint venture with or is sold to or merged with another business entity, your information may be disclosed to our new business partners or owners.
Countries outside Canada do not always have strong data protection laws. However, we will always take steps to ensure that your information is used by third parties in accordance with this policy. Unless required to do so by law, we will not otherwise share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent.
Cookies are small amounts of information which we store on your computer. Cookies make it easier for you to log on to and use the site during future visits. They also allow us to monitor website traffic and to personalize the content of the site for you. Cookies cannot damage files, nor can they read information from a user’s hard drive. This cookie does not contain any personal information.
You may set up your computer to reject cookies although, in that case, you may not be able to use certain features on our site. In order to access password protected member areas on the Canadian Global Cities Council website you must accept a cookie from our Web server.
Accessing and Updating
We make every effort to keep personal information as accurate, complete, current and relevant as necessary for the identified purposes. We do not routinely update personal information. Also on written request you may view or edit your personal information as collected and currently stored by the CGCC. You are entitled to see the information held about you and you may ask us to make any necessary changes to ensure that it is accurate and kept up to date. If you wish to do this, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions or comments you may have about our handling of personal information should be directed to our Privacy Officer.